The first month of 2018 is almost done, and I haven’t finished my resolutions – I hope this is not an omen for how the rest of the year is going to progress (knock on wood!).
So, in the spirit of better late than never –
and at the great risk of embarrassing myself in this spotlight I’ve created by being the only person left on the stage, I’ll go ahead and finish my ponderings and scribblings on the matter, and post them. I’m not really into the “new year, new me” philosophy. I don’t have to become someone else to be better, I just have to strive to be a better me. In that vein, I’d like to have more balance in my life – I want to be optimistic, but realistic. I want to achieve great things, but I want to make sure the mundane gets taken care of too. So, after much thought about how I can beat 2017, here are the resolutions for 2018:
- Be awesome.
- Write a lot.
- Publish book #5.
- First draft of book #6.
- (more like 5.5) Read Stephen King’s On Writing.
- Go to Africa.
- Learn to speak better Italian (and I do mean speak, not read or write).
- Draw or Paint more.
- Play my guitar.
- Write letters.
- Eat good food, drink coffee, have chocolate.
- Eat something unusual, that I haven’t tried before.
- Have a Golden Birthday.
- Sell lots of books.
- Write some awesome Stories My Friends Started.
- Enter (and win) a contest.
- Buy a mattress.
- Get a better phone.
- Focus on the real things: real friends, real communication, real happiness.
- Get a movie/TV series deal.
- Do something outside my comfort zone.
- Meet new people.
- Spend time on myself.
- Spend time on other people.
- Find something I’d lost.
- Give a present that really means something
- Do something unthinkable or ridiculous (but not dangerous or illegal).
- Something with dragons (for the English teachers and grammar nazis, yes I know that’s not a complete thought).
- Make a new friend.
- Be awesome (that merits saying twice).
So that’s that. That’s a pretty good list, pretty good motivation. I hope you all have a great year, and feel free to drop me a line and say hi! I’d love to know what some of your resolutions are and how they’re going so far?