Happy New Year! I hope 2019 is treating you well thus far.
I know you’re supposed to do these on New Years (Eve?), but I like a little time to mull over them, ruminate, and make them a little interesting.
So here’s my fine-wine and properly-aged cheese list of 2019 Resolutions:
- Be Awesome.
- Write a lot.
- Protect the writing time (this is very important).
- Submit a story somewhere.
- Do a public reading.
- Have a release party.
- Read a lot. Specifically:
- Finish Return of the King.
- On Writing by Stephen King
- The Amazon Ad book.
- The Uncle Eric Talks About Series.
- Visit the library.
- Sell one book per day (on average).
- Review something awesome.
- Book 6 – first draft
- Publish Book 6 (optional: with fanfare).
- Book 7 first draft
- Let’s be adventurous: Publish Book 7 (optional: with dragon parade).
- Run a book giveaway!
- Blog (more).
- Buy new music.
- Draw something.
- Play my guitar more than once (I should probably change the strings too).
- Dress up for Halloween (as something other than “a famous writer incognito/in disguise”).
- Eat at a restaurant I haven’t tried before.
- Go to 9th Bar (which I’ve been meaning to do for 2 years).
- Be Awesome – I’ve decided this will be the first and last item on every years list of Resolutions.
And I did go ahead and post this list on my wall, so I’m confident about the improved compliance.
Here’s to a year of dreams, dragons, and deadlines (specifically the sound they make as they pass us by)!
I hope you make the best 2019 you can!
Peace and love,
So, the New Year is imminent, and I have to take a moment to look back over how I did this past year.
- Be awesome. I’d like to think I achieved this.
- Write a lot. Definitely did this – one novel, one short story for the ISG anthology, a little light on the blogging.
- Publish book #5. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now available on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L2QBLW9
- First draft of book #6. Not so much – but I started! And I outlined the rest of the books!
- Read. I did read. A bit. I read Redemption by D. M. Kurtz (dragons!), and I re-read the Lord of the Rings Trilogy (almost, I still haven’t finished Return of the King).
- (more like 5.5) Read Stephen King’s On Writing. And that’s a nope. But it’s still on my list!
- Exercise. Yes. And by exercise, I mean:
- Go to Africa. Yes, I did this – for a wonderful 3 week safari family reunion:
- Learn to speak better Italian (and I do mean speak, not read or write). Non ho fatto questo. Ma forse l’anno prossimo.
- Draw or Paint more. The only thing I drew was a gargoyle on a birthday card for my favorite gargoyle. I’m not sure that counts as “more” though.
- Play my guitar. Once. One time. One time I picked up the guitar and played. The rest of the time it stared at me mournfully from its corner of the room.
- Write letters. I wrote a few, and sent postcards.
- Eat good food, drink coffee, have chocolate. Yes (samosas in Cape Town), Yes (lots of coffee), and Yes (lots of chocolate).
- Eat something unusual, that I haven’t tried before. Nothing comes to mind for this, so I’m guessing I didn’t do this (or it wasn’t unusual enough to merit).
- Have a Golden Birthday. This I did – for those who don’t know, a golden birthday is the birthday when your age matches up with the day of your birth.
- Sell lots of books. I’m going to say yes – I had a stretch where I sold a book a day for a week, which is going in the right direction!
- Write some awesome Stories My Friends Started. I did this – you can check them out here: https://storiesmyfriendsstarted.wordpress.com/category/nicole-dragonbeck/
- Enter (and win) a contest. I didn’t win anything this year. I suppose I did submit my novella to Tor, so half done?
- Buy a mattress. Yes, I did this – it’s wonderful.
- Get a better phone. Also did this – I can now post to instagram without bugging my sister: https://www.instagram.com/authordragonbeck/
- Focus on the real things: real friends, real communication, real happiness. Previous comment notwithstanding, I think I did alright with this. Next year will be better.
- Get a movie/TV series deal. Not yet, but I know it’s coming!
- Do something outside my comfort zone. I did a few things like this.
- Meet new people. I met some new people in Africa. Also, I went to a book fair and met some cool new people there. And I met one of my brother’s friends from work. Mission accomplished.
- Spend time on myself. I took a bath. I love baths (so much more relaxing than showers). I should do that more often.
- Spend time on other people. I organized (with my mom) a trip to South Africa for a big family reunion, so that definitely counts.
- Find something I’d lost. My mind?
- Give a present that really means something. I gave Court a journal that said “Fucking Awesome” and Lisa a journal that said “Fucking Magical”. This was unbelievably perfect (which you’d know if you knew them.
- Do something unthinkable or ridiculous (but not dangerous or illegal). I think I might have been joking when I wrote this. If not……..I think I failed.
- Something with dragons (for the English teachers and grammar nazis, yes I know that’s not a complete thought). I got a dragon pendant as a present, so there.
- Make a new friend. My new friend this year is Elizabeth, a wonderful woman who read my books and whose love of the Witch V’Ronica gave me a little nudge to actually get book 5 out sometime before I turn one-hundred-and-eleventy.
- Be awesome (that merits saying twice). Yep, still pretty sure this counts as done, but as always, improvements can be made.
I think I need to make a list and post these for 2019 – that might help with compliance. I’ll put some thought into 2019 resolutions, and most likely steal some of these for next year.
I hope you did some awesome things in 2018!
I hope every one of you has a wonderful day.
I hope you’re with people that you love, and who love you. I hope you have good food and drink, cheer and merriment. I hope you give gifts that make others happy, and receive gifts that make you smile. I hope you get a chance to have a perfect moment in this imperfect world, and I hope the spirit of that moment lives on even when the skies become gloomy and the horizon darkens.
And if for any reason any of these things are outside your reach this year, I hope the memory of Christmas past and the hope of Christmas future touches your heart and reminds you that tomorrow is another day to live, to try, and to make this world a better place.
❤ ❤ ❤ DragonBeck
Happy Halloween to all!
I don’t have candy, but here’s a joke instead: Why do mathematicians always confuse Halloween and Christmas? Because OCT 31 = DEC 25
Wishing all a wonderful day of fun, food, fireworks, reflection and independence.
And for those celebrating #IndependanceDay, I give you:
❤ ❤ ❤ DragonBeck
Because today is as good a day as any to have love and goodness in the world, be you in the throes of true love, or preaching against the Hallmark marketing ploy, or being an angsty cynic and negating the pink hearts and sappy messages, I wish everyone the world lots of love and goodness on this Valentine’s day!
The first month of 2018 is almost done, and I haven’t finished my resolutions – I hope this is not an omen for how the rest of the year is going to progress (knock on wood!).
So, in the spirit of better late than never –
and at the great risk of embarrassing myself in this spotlight I’ve created by being the only person left on the stage, I’ll go ahead and finish my ponderings and scribblings on the matter, and post them. I’m not really into the “new year, new me” philosophy. I don’t have to become someone else to be better, I just have to strive to be a better me. In that vein, I’d like to have more balance in my life – I want to be optimistic, but realistic. I want to achieve great things, but I want to make sure the mundane gets taken care of too. So, after much thought about how I can beat 2017, here are the resolutions for 2018:
- Be awesome.
- Write a lot.
- Publish book #5.
- First draft of book #6.
- (more like 5.5) Read Stephen King’s On Writing.
- Go to Africa.
- Learn to speak better Italian (and I do mean speak, not read or write).
- Draw or Paint more.
- Play my guitar.
- Write letters.
- Eat good food, drink coffee, have chocolate.
- Eat something unusual, that I haven’t tried before.
- Have a Golden Birthday.
- Sell lots of books.
- Write some awesome Stories My Friends Started.
- Enter (and win) a contest.
- Buy a mattress.
- Get a better phone.
- Focus on the real things: real friends, real communication, real happiness.
- Get a movie/TV series deal.
- Do something outside my comfort zone.
- Meet new people.
- Spend time on myself.
- Spend time on other people.
- Find something I’d lost.
- Give a present that really means something
- Do something unthinkable or ridiculous (but not dangerous or illegal).
- Something with dragons (for the English teachers and grammar nazis, yes I know that’s not a complete thought).
- Make a new friend.
- Be awesome (that merits saying twice).
So that’s that. That’s a pretty good list, pretty good motivation. I hope you all have a great year, and feel free to drop me a line and say hi! I’d love to know what some of your resolutions are and how they’re going so far?
Hi people! So, as is only natural, at the end of 2016 I published a blog outlining my lofty hopes and dreams for 2017. You can read it here.
Let’s have a look at what those were, and how many of the got done, in part or in whole:
- Write. A lot. I did this. Not as much as I’d hoped (I wanted to get the first draft of my fifth novel done, but that didn’t happen). I rewrote book 1, and finished book 4, wrote some Stories My Friends Started, and some flash fiction writing exercises; and a few short short stories for anthologies. And a story to submit to Writers of the Future (it didn’t win but it was awesome).
- Read. Not quite as much as I write, but at least some. I did this!!! I read the Pendragon series (awesome) and Second Chances by Alanna J. Rubin (also awesome!).
- Keep Erika happy with my quota of Stories My Friends Started (if you’d like to help me with this particular resolution, go to Storiesmyfriendsstarted.com, and give us a sentence to start!) I sort of did this – Erika may disagree, but you can see what I did do here. “Jumping Back”, “Quiet”, “Liabilities of Language”, and “Inspiration” are a few of my favorites, as well as the rather impressive (if I do say so myself) four-part “Magic Mirror” story.
- Write/publish stories in the much-anticipated sequel to The Death of Jimmy – The Purge of Jimmy (coming soon). Yes – get your copy here for just $0.99!!
- Write/publish stories in Super Useless (coming sooner). And yes!! Get your copy of these delightful people with not so super superpowers here ($0.99)!
- Get my 2017 anthology in on time and within the specified word count. I did this too! “The Writer’s Trial” a fun little piece about writers, devils, and talking cats that I wrote several years ago, and by several years, I mean over a decade. You can get your copy here, also $0.99!
- Publish Book IV of the Guardians of the Path series. Yes! Go me! You can get the first four books here!
- Write first draft of Book V of GOTP (and dare to hope it will be published at the end of the year). Yeah, not so much. Strike one *sad face*.
- Write a novella series (or two). Yeah, really not so much. Strike two *sheds a tear*
- Savor the coffee. Let the Force flow through me… I did this. Lots of delicious coffee, and I saw Star Wars: Rogue One, though I haven’t seen The Last Jedi yet, but soon.
- Spend lots of time with my family. I did this too. We Skyped a lot, because we’re spread out across the U.S. now.
- Spend lots of time with my amazing companions in the Ink Slingers Guild, drinking tea, laughing, and being awesome. I did this. It was awesome.
- Be awesome in general. I think I did this.
- Spread the awesomeness. I beta read a couple books for some friends of mine, baked people yummy things, did a lot of networking this year, made a super cool little calendar for the Ink Slingers Guild.
- Bake yummy things. So many yummy things: chocolate chip cookies, strawberry jam biscuits, gingerbread, mince pies, shortbread.
- Make some good memories. I went to California to see where I was born, I went to Megacon, I went to the movies to see Thor: Ragnarok with my mom for my birthday, I went to see WD HAN in concert.
- Do something that I haven’t done before. I went to Megacon – my very first Convention! It was awesome!
- Go somewhere new. I’m not sure if this totally counts, but here goes: I flew by myself for the first time to visit my sister in California. It wasn’t new so much – I was born there, but it was the first time I’d been back in 24 years, so it felt like some place new. My sister also kept complaining about how new everything was, and all the new buildings that were being put up, so I feel that lends credence to my assertion that this counts.
- Don’t spend too much time on the internet (very important). I totally did this. You can read about my internet-free adventure here.
- Find that dragon, and travel the world a-dragonback (from 2016). In progress.
- Take over the world (also from 2016). Also in progress.
And that’s the last one – not bad for a year!! I am very proud of myself for actually getting most of my stuff done! Now I’ll have to think up some awesome resolutions for 2018….
Though it’s been said, many times, many ways, Merry Christmas to you!
Gun Tso Sun Tan’Gung Haw Sun
Pozdrevlyayu s prazdnikom Rozhdestva is Novim Godom
Boas Festas e Feliz Ano Novo
Sawadee Pee Mai
Idah Saidan Wa Sanah Jadidah
Shenoraavor Nor Dari yev Pari Gaghand
Tezze Iliniz Yahsi Olsun
Selamat Hari Natal
Zorionak eta Urte Berri On!
Shuvo Naba Barsha
Nedeleg laouen na bloavezh mat
Bon Nadal i un Bon Any Nou!
Prejeme Vam Vesele Vanoce a stastny Novy Rok
Yukpa, Nitak Hollo Chito
Subha nath thalak Vewa
Sung Tan Chuk Ha
Jutdlime pivdluarit ukiortame pivdluaritlo!
Cristmas-e-shoma mobarak bashad
Zalig Kerstfeest en Gelukkig nieuw jaar
Noflike Krystdagen en in protte Lok en Seine yn it Nije Jier!
Nollaig chridheil agus Bliadhna mhath ùr!
En frehlicher Grischtdaag un en hallich Nei Yaahr!
Barka da Kirsimatikuma Barka da Sabuwar Shekara!
Shub Naya Baras
Selamat Hari Natal
Idah Saidan Wa Sanah Jadidah
Ojenyunyat Sungwiyadeson honungradon nagwutut
Nollick ghennal as blein vie noa
Natale hilare et Annum Faustum
Prieci’gus Ziemsve’tkus un Laimi’gu Jauno Gadu!
LL Milied Lt-tajjeb
Pulit nadal e bona annado
Vrolijk Kerstfeest en een Gelukkig Nieuwjaar!
Bikpela hamamas blong dispela Krismas na Nupela yia i go long yu
Wesolych Swiat Bozego Narodzenia
La Maunia Le Kilisimasi Ma Le Tausaga Fou
Hristos se rodi
Sretan Bozic oppure Vesele vianoce
God Jul and (Och) Ett Gott Nytt År
Noeliniz Ve Yeni Yiliniz Kutlu Olsun
Kellemes Karacsonyi unnepeket
Naya Saal Mubarak Ho
Chung Mung Giang Sinh
E ku odun, e ku iye’dun
Wishing everyone a very, very Happy Thanksgiving!
I hope you have many wonderful things to be thankful for, and remember that no matter where we are today, we can always work towards making a better tomorrow!
“In the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.” – Abraham Lincoln