So, the New Year is imminent, and I have to take a moment to look back over how I did this past year.
- Be awesome. I’d like to think I achieved this.
- Write a lot. Definitely did this – one novel, one short story for the ISG anthology, a little light on the blogging.
- Publish book #5. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now available on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L2QBLW9
- First draft of book #6. Not so much – but I started! And I outlined the rest of the books!
- Read. I did read. A bit. I read Redemption by D. M. Kurtz (dragons!), and I re-read the Lord of the Rings Trilogy (almost, I still haven’t finished Return of the King).
- (more like 5.5) Read Stephen King’s On Writing. And that’s a nope. But it’s still on my list!
- Exercise. Yes. And by exercise, I mean:
- Go to Africa. Yes, I did this – for a wonderful 3 week safari family reunion:
- Learn to speak better Italian (and I do mean speak, not read or write). Non ho fatto questo. Ma forse l’anno prossimo.
- Draw or Paint more. The only thing I drew was a gargoyle on a birthday card for my favorite gargoyle. I’m not sure that counts as “more” though.
- Play my guitar. Once. One time. One time I picked up the guitar and played. The rest of the time it stared at me mournfully from its corner of the room.
- Write letters. I wrote a few, and sent postcards.
- Eat good food, drink coffee, have chocolate. Yes (samosas in Cape Town), Yes (lots of coffee), and Yes (lots of chocolate).
- Eat something unusual, that I haven’t tried before. Nothing comes to mind for this, so I’m guessing I didn’t do this (or it wasn’t unusual enough to merit).
- Have a Golden Birthday. This I did – for those who don’t know, a golden birthday is the birthday when your age matches up with the day of your birth.
- Sell lots of books. I’m going to say yes – I had a stretch where I sold a book a day for a week, which is going in the right direction!
- Write some awesome Stories My Friends Started. I did this – you can check them out here: https://storiesmyfriendsstarted.wordpress.com/category/nicole-dragonbeck/
- Enter (and win) a contest. I didn’t win anything this year. I suppose I did submit my novella to Tor, so half done?
- Buy a mattress. Yes, I did this – it’s wonderful.
- Get a better phone. Also did this – I can now post to instagram without bugging my sister: https://www.instagram.com/authordragonbeck/
- Focus on the real things: real friends, real communication, real happiness. Previous comment notwithstanding, I think I did alright with this. Next year will be better.
- Get a movie/TV series deal. Not yet, but I know it’s coming!
- Do something outside my comfort zone. I did a few things like this.
- Meet new people. I met some new people in Africa. Also, I went to a book fair and met some cool new people there. And I met one of my brother’s friends from work. Mission accomplished.
- Spend time on myself. I took a bath. I love baths (so much more relaxing than showers). I should do that more often.
- Spend time on other people. I organized (with my mom) a trip to South Africa for a big family reunion, so that definitely counts.
- Find something I’d lost. My mind?
- Give a present that really means something. I gave Court a journal that said “Fucking Awesome” and Lisa a journal that said “Fucking Magical”. This was unbelievably perfect (which you’d know if you knew them.
- Do something unthinkable or ridiculous (but not dangerous or illegal). I think I might have been joking when I wrote this. If not……..I think I failed.
- Something with dragons (for the English teachers and grammar nazis, yes I know that’s not a complete thought). I got a dragon pendant as a present, so there.
- Make a new friend. My new friend this year is Elizabeth, a wonderful woman who read my books and whose love of the Witch V’Ronica gave me a little nudge to actually get book 5 out sometime before I turn one-hundred-and-eleventy.
- Be awesome (that merits saying twice). Yep, still pretty sure this counts as done, but as always, improvements can be made.
I think I need to make a list and post these for 2019 – that might help with compliance. I’ll put some thought into 2019 resolutions, and most likely steal some of these for next year.
I hope you did some awesome things in 2018!